Hey I saw your post about your dreads and I just wanted to pass on some advice I've picked up in my dreadhead journey.
I noticed that you said you used a crochet hook, I would recommend stopping. The hook tears the hair inside the dreads making them weak. Over time dreads become at risk of falling off because they are so weak they can no longer support their own weight. Dreads need nothing except to be washed and loved.
The roots are going to be loose for a while, but given time they dread about an inch from your scalp. loose hair and bumps and loops are a necessary part of the dreading process, it means that the hair is knotting up. They'll settle down after a while, and you can put beads on them to help them round out if you want too.
I recommend checking out this site/forum (www.dreadlockssite.com) for TONS of great and unbiased info on how to have healthy dreads you can keep for years to come.
Either way, enjoy your Dreading Journey!
Hullos!awesome! and yeah i know it’s bad for the dreadlocks, thank you for the tips !! i don’t know many “dreadheads” and it’s hard sorta making dreadlock decisions and i dont always know what to do if i have a question. thanks for the site too , it’s really good.
1. How old are your dreads? 3 almost 4 montsh i believe….
2. How many dreadlocks do you have? 22.. haha
3. How long are they? my longest is chest length shortest a little past the top of my ear.
4. Why did you decide to get them? i thought i looked boring and i apparently have perfect hair to dread.
5. How did everyone respond to them? some people didnt like them some liked them and thought they were great.
6. What do you LOVE about your dreads? learning different styles on how to wear them and decorating them up.
7. What do you dislike about them? They’re hard to dry and the frizzyness right now at the top of my head :/
8. What are some of your pet peeves that come with having dreads? when people think i dont shower and that they are gross but they arent!
9. Have you ever dyed them? Do you want to? If so, what colour? not yet… im thinking of bleaching a couple, i’m sorta scared.
10. Do you do any daily maintenance to your dreads? What are the steps included? i use the crochet hook when i notice loose and holes at my roots and i wash them every third day with Dr Bronners Peppermint soap with some tee tree oil in the liquid shampoo for my scalp :)
11. What dreadlock products do you stand by and why? i only use the soap and herbs and what not and that’s it. a little wax every two months once.
12. Which products do you regret trying?
13. What method did you use to start your locks? Back combing + crochet hook and palm rolling and root rolling.
14. How much did it cost to get them done? uhh well the crochet hook was two dollers (canadian).
15. What compliments have you ever received about your dreads? “the smell nice!” “they feel cool” “they look so GOOD on you” “they look so mature for their age” “Awesome” “you look cute with them haha”
16. Have you Influenced anyone to start their own dread journey? not yet
17. Are you happy with how your dreadlocks look? of course, i just wish they were longer.
18. What would you change about your locks if you could go back in time? i wouldnt have had to really fat ones cause i could of have 26 locs
19. How do you normally style/wear your dreads? down sometimes in a bun or half tied up
20. How do you envision you and your dreads 5 years from now? Will you still even have them? LONGGG and pertyyy